In collaboration with the client, we jointly identified a series of work packages to improve the standard of the four care homes, to be carried out over a two-year period, which coincided with the homes financial years to secure their funding.
How we carried out the works to minimise disruption to building users:
Apart from one wing, the homes were fully occupied, so close liaison with each Home Manager was imperative on a daily basis. We undertook resident profiling to ascertain any vulnerabilities, e.g. some residents had Dementia, so that we could communicate in the right way for residents to understand what works were going to take place, this involved family and carers. We minimised noise and disruption to the running of the homes by segregating work areas from residents while maintaining emergency fire escape routes. We achieved this by installing signage and barriers or identifying alternative routes, especially important for those who used frames or wheelchairs.
When working in individuals’ bedrooms during the M&E upgrades, we provided respite areas so that residents had a quiet safe place especially if they were sensitive to the noise or were nervous of our operatives, who they didn’t know. However, they always made a point of introducing themselves.
Health and safety considerations of the residents and staff remained paramount throughout the project. Risk Assessments completed at the beginning of the works were reviewed and revised regularly as work progressed. This sometimes meant working reactively for the programme of works to run smoothly.
Logistically, carrying out this volume of work needed strong communication skills and thoughtful resource management so that the strict programme could be maintained to minimise disruption to the residents, and we are happy to say this was achieved.
Challenges and how we addressed them:
At the start of the project records from the facilities manager were in a poor state so we ensured we updated all asset information during the works and presented it to the client on completion
Upon commencement, LMAC identified that the initial design provided by the client was not fit for purpose. Therefore, we agreed with the client to undertake surveys of the existing installations and provide solutions. We presented and managed these and other issues on site via an RFI schedule which assisted both Kier and Anchor Housing Trust in closing out actions that followed.
The programme was challenging due to the amount of work to be completed in such a short timescale, so orders were placed early on long lead items such as the light fittings, which took 6-8 weeks.
We developed a realistic 3 week look ahead programme for the duration of the project and sequenced the works to ensure the M&E upgrades were completed prior to commencing redecorations so things stayed on track.
Our work areas were constantly monitored by a non-working operative in order to ensure resident safety. All thoroughfares were kept clear and work areas made safe and cleaned on completion at the end of each day in order to ensure the building remained hazard free.
A rodent infestation was discovered by us during works undertaken in the loft, so we informed the client and instigated removal simultaneously for smooth continuation of the works.
Scope of work
Bespoke Thorlux energy efficient lighting
Refurbishment of Communal areas, Bedrooms and shower rooms
Replacement of Mechanical and Electrical infrastructure
Installation of CCTV and Nurse Call System